One of my travel bucket list destinations is Rio de Janeiro in Brazil during Carnival. This year, Carnival, a festival that is all about parties and fun (and dare I say lots of deadly sins), will run from February 9-12, 2013.
If you are one of the lucky ones who will be there and are wondering whether you can travel sustainably during Carnival, here are some responsible travel tips for cost-conscious accommodations, guides and restaurants in the Rio de Janeiro area:
- Try to stay in green lodges that emphasize their natural surroundings.
- Consider Gota Do Mar which has installed eco-friendly lighting, composts its waste, uses bio-degradable cleaning products, recycles building materials, sources its food from local companies and educates its staff on green practices.
- Consider Reserve el Nagual, which is located in a private heritage reserve. Besides the usual green credentials, the eco-lodge includes green room information packs for each guest, and cares for wildlife in the area by working closely with the Municipal Environmental Council. They offer canoeing, fishing, mountain biking, kayaking, bird watching, horseback riding and yoga activities among others.
- If you are looking for a day trip with a local guide, consider these cultural tours as well as private tours by certified guides.
- Lastly, when you get hungry, try supporting one of the places on this listing of health food, vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Rio De Janeiro.
Above all, stay safe and send pictures of your travels! Or if you are planning to travel to Brazil in the coming months, check out the Brazil Hike, Bike and Kayak Adventure or one of the Family Brazil trips.